fraud solicitors: Fraud Defence Specialists
Our Fraud Solicitors are specialists in assisting individuals or businesses accused of committing fraud. We have successfully defended individuals and businesses from fraud allegations since 1998; our extensive experience ensures all clients receive the best-possible advice.
We understand an investigation can be a stressful, complex process. Our Fraud Solicitors are here to provide you with advice every step of the way; we’ll liaise with the police, HMRC or other authorities on your behalf, and advise you on what to say, if anything, should you be asked for an interview.
Call our Fraud Lawyers today if you have been accused of committing crimes under the Fraud Act 2006 and need expert advice and representation: +44 (0)161 452 7674.
HOW OUR FRAUD DEFENCE SOLICITORS CAN HELP YOU
Our Fraud Solicitors help people accused of a wide range of financial crimes,including civil fraud and complex business crimes. We specialise in the following three areas in particular:
This includes investment fraud such as share scams and pyramid schemes, corporate fraud including asses stripping and fraudulent trading.
A criminal offence that involves the act of illegally obtaining more benefit money from the government than you are entitled to.
The act of illegally avoiding paying taxes by misrepresenting your finances to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
Alongside this, our Fraud Lawyers defend individuals accused of:
- Investment Fraud
- Bribery and Corruption
- VAT Fraud
- Bank Fraud
- Credit Card Fraud
- Identity Theft
- Insider Trading
- Insurance Fraud
- Counterfeiting and Forgery
- Pension Fraud
- Mortgage Fraud
- MTIC and Carousel Fraud
Whatever you have been accused of, we pride ourselves on helping clients every step of the way. Our team will help you throughout the process, including:
- Providing you with assistance in relation to dawn raids
- Preparing you for an interview with the authorities
- Challenging the authorities on search warrants and restraining orders
- Securing bail on your behalf
- Thoroughly preparing your defence for a trail
- Successfully defending you in court
Our Fraud Solicitors are perfectly positioned to provide you with the assistance you need following accusations of fraud. With a reputation built on excellence, quality and skill, we have a proven track record of helping hundreds of clients accused of committing fraud in the most complex of cases.
If you're want the best-possible chance of a successful outcome after being accused of fraud, call us today on +44 (0)161 452 7677
WHAT IS FRAUD?
Fraud is defined by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) as an act of deception intended for personal gain or to cause loss to somebody else.
The act of fraud can take many forms, from low value, high-volume offences such as card skimming, to complex frauds such as share scams which result in losses of millions of pounds for the victims.
Some of the most common types of fraud include:
- Phone scams: typically, phone scams consist of calling someone claiming to be from a legitimate, well known organisation with the objective of tricking them into handing over their bank details, calling premium-rate phone numbers or installing malicious software onto their computer
- Card skimming: a crime which is becoming more common every year, in which an individual uses a device to obtain the card details of victims for their own personal use
- Investment scams: investment scams are one of the most common high value fraud offences, and often target older individuals with access to their pension. Perpetrators of investment scams contact people via phone, email or social media offering unusually high returns on any investments made
- Ticketing scams: as buying tickets for events online as become more commonplace, so ticketing scams have increased in popularity. Individuals will set up websites which appear official to sell fake or non-existent tickets for popular events.
Fraud is now the most common crime in committed in the UK, with a 2017 Experian study suggesting the country loses over £190 billion per year due to fraud. In the same year, cases of fraud hit a 15-year high.
As a result of this, fraud has become a high-profile crime, with a lot of focus being placed on prosecuting convicted individuals and the potential punishments being severe. If you have been accused of committing fraud, seeking legal advice from specialist Fraud Solicitors is vital.
WHAT ARE THE PENALTIES FOR FRAUD?
Different types of fraud carry different penalties ranging from community orders to large fines and prison terms up to 10 years. The thought of a custodial sentence can be extremely stressful for anyone facing allegations of fraud, which can often be opportunistic, and those accused of it may never have faced criminal charges before.
The severity of the punishment handed out is determined by several deciding factors, such as:
- Whether the act of fraud was part of a planned and premeditated operation or an opportunistic act by an individual.
- The damage done to the victim in terms of financial loss, credit rating and overall impact.
- The length of time the fraud continued.
- If there has been an attempt to conceal or dispose of any evidence.
- The judge will also take into consideration any factors beyond financial loss, that may have an impact. For example, where money has been generated fraudulently to fund large-scale organised crime that target vulnerable people, such as the supply of drugs or human trafficking.
MITIGATING FACTORS DURING FRAUD SENTENCING
Fraud sentencing accounts for numerous factors, all of which may reduce the penalty given out by the Judge. These include
- Cooperation with the authorities
- If the money has been given back voluntarily
- Evidence that suggests someone stopped offending before they were caught
WHEN SHOULD YOU SEEK LEGAL ADVICE?
Contact our Fraud Lawyers immediately if you:
- Have been informed that you are under investigation
- Have been asked to speak to the authorities
- Are facing a prosecution
- Have been charged with fraud
By seeking advice from the very start, your case is more likely to be successful. We recommend speaking to a legal advisor from the moment you are informed you are under investigation. However, at Draycott Browne, we will provide advice and representation at any point during your case.
CONTACT Draycott Browne's fraud SOLICITORS
Draycott Browne team of Fraud Solicitors is nationally regarded across the legal profession and recognised as experts across all matters of Fraud, whether alleged against an individual, a business or company officers. Our specialist Fraud Solicitors possess a breadth of knowledge that is unrivalled in the industry and we take great pride in our dedication and professionalism.
We are relentless in the pursuit of achieving the best result possible for all of our clients and will continuously work hard on your behalf with an attention to detail and tenacity that is second to none.
Our Fraud Solicitors have practised within this area of law for over 25 years, and their experience and expertise, even in relation to most complex and sophisticated of Fraud cases are guaranteed to give you the best possible chance of a successful outcome to the challenge faced.
Draycott Browne is one of the UK's top criminal law firms. We regularly provide specialist criminal defence representation to clients in Manchester, Liverpool and London.
We offer our services to clients throughout the whole of England and Wales. When facing serious consequences, trust in Draycott Browne, you cannot afford to settle for anything less. Call our business crime team today on +44 (0)161 452 7675.