Fraud Defence Solicitors - Manchester
At Draycott Browne, our solicitors have successfully defended cases of fraud since 1998. Our wealth of experience has ensured that we provide expert advice to all clients accused of such crimes.
We understand that an investigation can be a stressful and complex process, which is why our specialist fraud solicitors are here to provide you with advice every step of the way. Our team will liaise with the police, HMRC or other authorities on your behalf, and advise you on what to say, if anything, should you be asked for an interview.
If you are involved in a charge of fraud and need expert advice and representation, call Draycott Browne today on +44 (0)161 228 2244.
What is fraud?
Fraud is defined by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) as an act of deception intended for personal gain or to cause loss to somebody else.
Which areas of fraud do we cover?
We aim to take on all cases involving fraud, and our team of solicitors specialises in the following three areas:
This includes investment fraud such as share scams and pyramid schemes, corporate fraud including asses stripping and fraudulent trading.
A criminal offence that involves the act of illegally obtaining more benefit money from the government than you are entitled to.
The act of illegally avoiding paying taxes by misrepresenting your finances to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).
WHAT ARE THE PENALTIES?
Different types of fraud carry different penalties ranging from community orders to large fines and lengthy prison terms. The thought of a custodial sentence can be extremely stressful for anyone facing allegations of fraud, which can often be opportunistic, and those accused of it may never have faced criminal charges before. The severity of the punishment handed out is determined by a number of deciding factors such as:
- Whether the act of fraud was part of a planned and premeditated operation or an opportunistic act by an individual.
- The damage done to the victim in terms of financial loss, credit rating and overall impact.
- The length of time the fraud continued.
- If there has been an attempt to conceal or dispose of any evidence.
- The judge will also take into consideration any factors beyond financial loss, that may have an impact. For example, where money has been generated fraudulently to fund large-scale organised crime that target vulnerable people, such as the supply of drugs or human trafficking.
Factors that will be taken into consideration during sentencing and may reduce the penalty that a judge gives out can include:
- Cooperation with the authorities
- If the money has been given back voluntarily
- Evidence that suggests someone stopped offending before they were caught
When should you seek legal advice?
You should contact Draycott Browne immediately if you:
- have been informed that you are under investigation
- have been asked to speak to the authorities
- are facing a prosecution
- have been charged with fraud
By seeking advice from the very start, your case is more likely to be successful. We recommend speaking to a legal advisor from the moment you are informed you are under investigation. However, at Draycott Browne, we will provide advice and representation at any point during your case.
How we can help
Our solicitors pride themselves on helping our clients every step of the way. We will aid you during each part of the process, including:
- Providing you with assistance in relation to dawn raids
- Preparing you for an interview with the authorities
- Challenging the authorities on search warrants and restraining orders
- Securing bail on your behalf
- Thoroughly preparing your defence for a trail
- Successfully defending you in court
Draycott Browne has a highly experienced team of fraud solicitors who are well respected in the industry and have a reputation built on excellence, quality and skill. We have a proven track record of dealing with a number of complex cases and have successfully defended hundreds of clients accused of fraud. Our specialist legal team possess a comprehensive technical knowledge and keen attention to detail that will give you the best chance of a successful outcome. We are sure that you will appreciate our straightforward style and will find us both professional and approachable.
CONTACT US TODAY
Our team of experienced solicitors offer services within Manchester and throughout North West England. For advice and representation from the fraud experts, call Draycott Browne today on +44 (0)161 228 2244.