VAT Fraud Solicitors - Manchester
VAT fraud investigations can be particularly disruptive for businesses due to the detailed nature of the investigations. Company and personal reputations are also put at risk, making the situation particularly stressful for business owners and their loved ones.
Due to the complexity of the law around VAT fraud and the thoroughness of investigations, VAT fraud cases can be particularly lengthy and complicated. To ensure you have the right support and advice during that time, you should obtain expert legal advice as soon as possible.
WHAT IS VAT FRAUD?
VAT fraud occurs when a business either doesn’t charge the right amount of VAT and/or doesn’t pay the appropriate amount to HMRC.
As the rules around VAT are complex, it is easy for businesses to make genuine mistakes which can see them being investigated for VAT fraud.
VAT fraud can take numerous forms, but common examples of VAT fraud include the following:
- Suppressing sales or inflating purchases to avoid or reduce the VAT liability
- Not charging VAT when it should be charged, e.g. cash in hand jobs
- Falsifying VAT invoices to make it look like VAT was paid
- Charging VAT despite not being registered for VAT, and then not accounting for that VAT to HMRC
- Carousel or Missing Trader Intra-Community Fraud where goods are imported VAT free from EU countries and then sold to customers at a price which includes VAT, without paying HMRC the VAT liability.
WHAT ARE THE PENALTIES FOR VAT FRAUD?
VAT fraud is treated as a serious offence and carries financial penalties as well as a potential custodial sentence of up to 10 years for very serious cases.
HOW WE CAN HELP YOU
For over 20 years, Draycott Browne has been successfully guiding and representing clients in serious and high value fraud cases. Our VAT fraud solicitors are skilled and experienced at handling complex cases, and we will vigorously challenge the evidence against you. We have a formidable reputation for defending serious high value cases with tenacity and precision to provide our clients with the best defence possible.
We will liaise with the authorities for you and if you are asked for information, we will counsel you on what to say. We have over 20 years’ experience dealing with the main enforcement agencies, such as:
- HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC)
- The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
- The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS)
- The Serious Fraud Office (SFO)
Throughout your case, we will support you with professional advice and guidance, including:
- Representing you during questioning
- Ensuring your rights are protected and that you are treated fairly throughout the process
- Advising you on your plea
- Applying for any bail – where necessary - and ensuring the impact of any conditions is minimised
- Ensuring you are fully prepared for your trial
- Providing expert representation in court
- Helping you protect your reputation
- Advising and assisting you on the appeals process, if necessary
We understand that being charged with a fraud offence can be a very stressful experience. Our dedicated and experienced legal team will work tirelessly to defend your case, whilst ensuring that you and your loved ones are treated with understanding, empathy and respect at all times.
24 HOUR AVAILABILITY
It is not always possible to anticipate an arrest, which is why our legal advisors are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. At Draycott Browne we have a team of professionals ready to assist you whenever you need us. We will represent you at from the start to make sure you and your case are treated fairly and appropriately.
Defending your name is worth every penny, but if you need assistance with the financial cost of your legal fees, we can help you to apply for legal aid. Our solicitors can guide you through the application process to help you get the maximum support possible.
Draycott Browne offers services within Manchester and throughout the north west of England. By bringing your case to us, you can be confident that you will be working with a team of highly skilled and committed legal specialists.
Our legal team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with expert VAT fraud solicitors committed to providing a world-class defence for their clients. If you or somebody you know has been arrested and needs expert legal representation, call Draycott Browne today on +44 (0)161 228 2244 or complete our contact form.