Types of criminal offence in uk law

There are three categories of criminal offence in UK law. Criminal offences are dealt with by the courts according to the category they fall into. The main differences between the categories are the sentence period, the type of court and the authority (or decision maker).

Summary Offences

A summary offence is the least serious type of criminal offence.

Some examples of summary offences are:

  • low level motoring offences
  • minor criminal damage
  • common assault
  • being drunk and disorderly
  • taking a motor vehicle without consent

Type of Court

Summary offences can only be tried in a Magistrates’ Court. However, if the summary offence is attached to another crime in the either-way or indictable only category it may, in some limited circumstances, be dealt with in the Crown Court.

The vast majority of all criminal offences are dealt with by the Magistrates Court.

Sentence period

A summary offence normally carries a maximum sentence of 6 month’s imprisonment or a £5,000 fine.

The Magistrates’ Court can also give punishments such as a ban or community service.


Cases in the Magistrates’ Court are usually heard either by a District Judge sitting alone, or by a bench of three Magistrates.

Either way offences

An either way offence can be heard in either the Magistrates Court or the Crown Court. The range of offences within this category is very wide in terms of the level of seriousness.

Some examples include:

The main factor in deciding which court will deal with an either way offence is the likely sentence the defendant will face if found guilty.

Taking theft as an example, the seriousness of the crime can range from relatively low value shoplifting to large scale theft involving millions of pounds.

At the lower end of the scale, a theft offence such as shoplifting would remain in the Magistrates Court, whereas a crime at the upper end of the scale involving much higher sums of money, and/or a wider impact on victims, would merit a sentence above the range available to the Magistrates Court, and will therefore be sent to the Crown Court.

Sentence period

The maximum sentence for an either-way offence dealt with by the Magistrate’s Court is 6 months. If the case is referred to the Crown Court the maximum penalty is whatever the maximum for that offence is by law.

Type of court

A person charged with an either way offence must first appear before a Magistrates’ Court where they will be asked to submit their plea. The Magistrates’ Court will hear the facts of the case and decide where the case should be allocated for trial or sentence.

The facts of the individual offence will determine how serious it is and hence whether the sentence will be within the powers of the Magistrates (a maximum of 6 months for a single either-way offence) or whether it will need to go to the Crown Court where higher penalties can be given. Using the example of theft again, it has a maximum penalty of 6 months' imprisonment if dealt with in the Magistrates' Court or a maximum of 7 years' imprisonment if dealt with in the Crown Court.


Either way offences dealt with by the Magistrates’ Court will be decided by the magistrate or District Judge. Cases dealt with by the Crown Court will be decided by a judge and jury.

Indictable only offences

Indictable only offences are the most serious category of criminal offence and can only be dealt with in the Crown Court.

Sentence period

As this is the most serious category of offence, the maximum sentences are long. Many indictable only offences carry a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

Type of court

Although a person charged with an indictable only offence must first appear before the Magistrates’ Court, the case will be sent immediately to the Crown Court to be dealt with by a judge.


If the case proceeds to a trial, the jury will decide on the defendant’s innocence or guilt. It is always for the judge to pass sentence.

Indictable only offences include:

If you have been accused of a crime or charged with an offence, or if you have been wrongly convicted or excessively sentenced for a crime you need the best criminal defence representation on your side.

When your life, liberty and reputation are at risk you can confidently rely on our expert Criminal Solicitors to support you in your time of need.

At Draycott Browne we aim to provide a first-class service and to deliver the best possible results for each of our clients. We firmly believe that everyone is entitled to high-quality representation regardless of financial means or circumstances and display the same level of commitment to both privately and publicly funded clients.

We have a proven track record across a multitude of challenging and high-profile cases and pride ourselves on our determination and dedication to achieve the right result for each of our clients.


The Criminal Investigation Lawyers at Draycott Browne, are widely recognised as one of the North of England's leading team of criminal defence lawyers with specialist criminal investigation expertise.

Contact us today If you would like us to contact you, simply fill in our online enquiry form and a member of the team will be in touch as soon as possible.

A one of the UK's foremost Criminal Defence Law Firms, we are highly regarded nationally across the legal profession and noted for consistently delivering positive results. Our team possess a breadth of technical knowledge and experience in criminal investigations and will provide you with the expertise needed throughout the process.

Our team regularly act for clients in London and throughout Midlands and of course the North West including clients from Birmingham and Liverpool. By entrusting us, you can be assured that you will be working with a team of highly skilled and experienced Criminal Defence Lawyers who have a thorough and comprehensive knowledge of the law.

Our legal team is available 7 days a week. For expert legal advice or representation, call Draycott Browne today on .

When you are facing the stiffest challenge, you cannot afford to settle for anything less than Draycott Browne.

Contact Us