Sexual Assault solicitors: Defending Sexual Assault Allegations
Our highly trained and experienced Sexual Assault Solicitors provide expert support and representation to anyone accused of a criminal offence related to sexual assault.
Allegations of sexual assault are extremely distressing to an individual and their families, and can have a long-lasting impact. Relationships can be put under strain, and livelihoods placed under threat by the serious nature of these accusations.
That is why it is essential that you seek the advice of trusted sexual offence legal professionals who will protect your rights and make sure that your interests are represented. Don’t think that just because you are innocent, you won’t need the advice of a solicitor. Sexual assault is a complicated and difficult area due to the issues around consent. It is often the word of the complainant against the defendant so it is imperative that you have a skilled and experienced legal team on your side, to unravel the complexities of your case and ensure that you have the best quality defence available to you.
At Draycott Browne, we pride ourselves on our dedication and commitment to getting the right result and will deal with your case sensitively and discreetly, understanding how emotive the subject of sexual assault is for all involved.
What is sexual assault?
Under the Sexual Offences Act 2003, sexual assault is defined as a person intentionally touching someone else in a sexual way, where that person did not consent to be touched, and the perpetrator does not reasonably believe that consent was given. There does not need to be any violence for a sexual assault to occur and the assault can happen through clothes.
What are the penalties?
Depending on how serious the allegations are, cases of sexual assault can be dealt with by the Magistrates Court or the Crown Court. The penalties can be severe and can result in a custodial sentence of anything up to 10 years.
There are a number of factors that the judge will take into consideration before handing out a sentence. These include:
- The severity of the assault.
- The number of incidents.
- The vulnerability of the victim.
- Any significant age difference.
- The impact on the victim.
- If the defendant was in a position of power or trust.
- Whether or not the defendant has shown remorse.
There can also be significant publicity surrounding investigations into sexual assault, often devastating a person’s reputation, relationships and career. We are highly accomplished in managing situations such as this and are here to help you.
How we can help you
At Draycott Browne, we have a wealth of experience in defending accusations of sexual assault and have a proven track record when it comes to this specialist area. We have the technical knowledge required to robustly and effectively defend damaging accusations of this nature and are masters in our craft. We are able to help you with every aspect of the legal process including:
- Police station representation
- You are entitled to legal representation from the moment of your arrest and we will be there to support and advise you on what to say, including your right to remain silent.
- Submitting your bail application
- We will work hard to keep bail conditions and their impact to a minimum.
- Preparing your case for trial.
- We will undertake a thorough review of all the evidence against you and will compile a defence with an attention to detail that is second to none.
- Defending you in court.
- We have the technical expertise to undertake skilled cross-examination of the complainant and to unravel the complexities surrounding consent and reasonable belief.
- Advising you on the appeals process.
- We understand how delicate and difficult accusations of sexual assault are but seeking immediate help from the experts can make all the difference to the outcome of your case.
24 Hour Availability
Arrests are rarely anticipated, which is why we are available around the clock, seven days a week, 365 days of the year, to assist you at the police station, whenever you need us.
Legal fees can be an unexpected cost that you many struggle to afford. By applying for legal aid, you can relieve financial stress during your case, leaving you to focus on what matters. Our solicitors can advise you on your eligibility and will guide you through the process of applying for legal aid, giving you the best chance of a successful application.